Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default 1st year apprentice

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
I'm more of an old imperial measurement type (AWG/SWG etc) but believe
that 1.5mm is *way* too thin to make an extension lead out of (unless
you just want to make up something specifically for a lightly loaded
lighting application.

Until someone borrows it for a not-so-lightly-loaded application.

Perhaps you didn't know, but UK plugs have a fuse in them?

Actually my other 230V extension lead[1] has a thermal cut out.

Instead of a fuse in the plug, or in addition?

A 13A fuse when used with a with a wound up lead will allow the flex to
melt well before the fuse blows if you stick 20A to 26A through it for
30 minutes. Imaging two wallpaper stripper plugged into the same wound
up extension.

Don't all such reels have a warning about extending them fully for a high
load? But even then I'd expect the plug fuse to blow if you're trying to
get 26 amps through it. ;-)

But BS1362 13A fuses do not work like that. They will pass 20A most of
the time without ever tripping and 26 A for just long enough to melt the
flex on an extension reel.

As for warnings. Who reads them?

--
Adam