Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default Help, oak surface treatment

On 9/11/18 1:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 2:38:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 11:16:41 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What would a clear epoxy finish do? Something like West Systems 207 Clear
Hardener.

In this case, not much. The Hardener may be clear, but mixed with the resin it will discolor. More importantly, in context of using it to finish a piece of wood that will receive foot traffic, epoxy it not a good idea. Unless formulated specifically for wear as a top coat finish, epoxy has poor abrasion resistance.

Robert

I hear you as far as wear. I was being more generic in response to Leon's
comment that any finish will change the appearance of wood.

In any case, I did some looking around and all indications are that the 105
resin and 207 hardener will produce an "exceptionally clear...natural wood"
finish.

One source of that claim:

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=2032

I've never tried the 207 hardener, but I'm thinking about a project where
it might work. I might have to play around a bit.

I use the 207 for both structural and top coats. It does have a very
slight amber cast, but much less than an oil based finish. It also has a
fairly low viscosity compared to other mixes.

-BR