Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default Too flat a flat roof?

Mathew Newton Wrote in message:
On Thursday, 13 September 2018 22:23:04 UTC+1, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Thursday, 13 September 2018 22:07:21 UTC+1, wrote:

I don't see BR helping you.

NT

Even if they were to say 'theres nothing explicit in the regs but if I were you I wouldnt lose sleep over it' that in itself would actually be of considerable help!

A bit of an update:

I spoke to Building Control this morning and whilst my inspector is away in holiday one of his colleagues listened to what I had to say. Based on that, and that alone, his view was that the fall was indeed unsatisfactory and could well be considered a violation of the regs. He confirmed there was nothing explicitly stated about falls in them but there is something of a catchall 'quality and workmanship' requirement which generally requires, amongst other things, compliance with relevant standards where appropriate to demonstrate compliance. Hence, the British Standard would be relevant here, not least given how accepted its fall figures are in the industry.

He did also say they'd need to see it really as there may well be a good reason why it is the way it is, and if there is then they would always try and take a pragmatic approach towards consideration of accepting it as they don't like to insist on re-work if not absolutely essential. He did echo my concerns though about the fact that the roof lantern is yet to be installed and so any test of falls at the moment could be premature.

I then spoke to the builder who was, thankfully, very considerate of my concerns. He immediately said he wondered if he might've made a mistake in the calculations but obviously couldn't really comment further without first coming to see what's what. He's away on holiday so next week we are going to meet up.

The builder confirmed that the furring strips weren't off-the-shelf and so this in my view might explain how the mistake might've occurred as I'm sure we have all performed a calculation, been happy with the result but then realised once you'd built the damn thing you'd made an error (or indeed not realised until someone else points it out!.

So we are on pause until next week but so far so good. As things stand I see no alternative but to strip and re-build as I can't see myself accepting the current construction and it sounds like BC might not either. It is unfortunate but mistakes do happen and I am currently content to consider it as just that.

Be interested in updates on outcome of this &, essentially, who
ends up paying/ giving in...
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/