Wayne Whitney

Default Ground Electrode & Foundation Replacement (US)

Hello,

I'm having my foundation replaced here in California, and I'm
wondering about opportunities to improve my ground electrode system
before the concrete is poured. The foundation is engineered and has
alot of rebar, and the foundation contractor has installed a 20 foot
length of copper wire in the foundation. I assume this is tied to the
rebar and will double check.

Is this sufficient? The foundation consists of about 100' of stem
wall with a footing about 3' deep, about 100' of retaining wall with a
footing 6' deep, and a concrete slab of 450 square feet about 4' below
grade. The surrounding soil is clay. I assume that I should insure
that the rebar of the various elements (stem wall, retaining wall and
slab) are electrically connected? Are there any other measures I
should take, like a grounding rod below the slab?

On a related question, if my main panel and my service disconnecting
means are separate, should the grounding electrode system tie in at
one or the other or both?

Thanks,
Wayne