Stormin Mormon

Default Furnace repair

A year or two ago, my boss and I ran into much the same situation. The
family was living in a house with a big "octopus" furnace. The furnace had
been convection, much like yours. The boss had added a couple duct booster
fans, but it came time that the old beast wasn't repairable. It was also
costing her something like $600 a month in natural gas bill.

We had to scoop a couple hundred pounds of sand off the top of it, and then
it was a real chore to get it apart. They used to use square nuts back then,
instead of the hex nuts we've got wrenches for now days.

It also took a bunch of duct work, to tie everything in. I can't remember
the make and model we put in, but it was a 90+ efficiency unit. And we put
in central AC while we had it all in pieces.

As I remember, they paid for it all in energy savings. Combine that with
having central AC, and they were quite pleased.

What are your energy bills like? Seriously, how much are you paying now? I
think that might be the deciding factor, is cutting your gas and electric
usage. Plus the comfort of having more even heat. You might also get central
AC on your next furnace, too.

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

wrote in message
I have a 100+ year old Holland Hot Air Furnace that was originally
coal fired and convection based (10" diameter ducts). It's about 6
foot diameter and 5 foot high. Probably in the thirties it was
converted to gas with the addition of Janitrol controls (300,000 BTU)
in (I presume) the area where you'd normally load in the coal and
somewhere along the way it was converted to forced hot air with the
addition of a squirrel cage blower on the side.

The Janitrol controls stick out the front of the furnace and consist
of a pancake gas valve operated by a clockwork mechanism (it looks
like something out of a Victorian-age museum) which lifts a lever and
opens the valve. The clockwork mechanism is operated by a 24V small
motor which is powered via the limit control and the thermostat back
to a transformer on the wall. According to the plumber the controls
have a 24" blast tube (important!).

The motor which drives the clockwork mechanism has failed resulting in
the inability to open the gas valve and thus supply heat. So say both
myself and the plumber. He of course would like to sell me a new
furnace at about $6500 something that I'm resisting. I understand that
parts are no longer available for the 1930-ish Janitol controls
although I don't know why not. I can buy parts for a 1930's Packard
car--albeit paying an arm and a leg. Janitrol still exist but don't
even seem to have a website.

The next step down from replacement of the entire thing is to replace
the controls as a group (about $1400) but the problem here is the lack
of a 24 inch blast tube on the modern units according to the plumber.
Most current gas replacement controls use a 12 or so inch blast tube.
Apparently the 24 inch is not an exact measurement but could be 20, 22
etc. I presume the blast tube is some sort of pipe that goes from the
controls to the burner. If they don't make one why couldn't one be
fabricated from steel (titanium? copper? bronze?)? I don't think the
plumber is interested in following this option. How do I get someone
who is?

Back to the drawing board. Why can't I replace the 24 volt motor with
a generic one? How do I search (Google) for a supplier? What I'd
really like is someone who offers a service of "Send me your old one
and we'll send you a new one with the appropriate drive shaft". How
would I search for a supplier here?

Alternatively, just as there a people who rebuild generators on cars
aren't there places that rebuild either the motor or the clockwork
mechanism itself. I understand it might require fabrication of some
parts but I have no idea how to go about looking for these things.

Alternatively, I'm not sure I trust the plumber and his "No current
controls available with a 24 inch blast tube" If I google on "gas
furnace conversion controls" I end up with a whole lot of junk on
conversion from oil of LP gas. No one talks about coal and even if
it's the same for a oil conversion I can't find any specifications or
even see any actual units. Everyone just wants to sell me a whole
furnace sigh.

Any suggestions?

FeelFree

To say anything you want.