AJScott

Default HOw to replace small sectin of copper pipe

In article ,
wrote:

On 13 Jan 2004 04:46:59 -0800,

(Joseph Logan) wrote:

I still haven't started soldering, but I have read in more than one
space that putting bread without the crust down in the pipe will
eliminate the chance of steam.

You read WHAT???? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha........
Wow, I got to see that book....... Is that the redneck book of fixing
stuff with ducttape, or what?

Actually he's half right, dorkus, and HVAC guys have been doing it for
ages. Shoving a big hunk of bread (no crust) into the pipe won't
"eliminate the chance of steam," but it will eliminate all that residual
dripping all over your nice carpet or floor once the line has been cut
and drained once the zone has been shut down.

Bread is used because once the repair is done and the zone is opened
back up, the bread "plug" will disintegrate very quickly once the hot
water nails it.

Of course, you could let the whole line drain bone-dry into a bucket for
a day or two, but most repair guys don't have that kind of time.

AJS