MDixon1918

Default Tiling a not-flat floor

Hey, list. I was getting ready to tile the concrete floor of the kids' new
basement playroom and decided to check my how-to-tile book (Setting Tile by
Michael Byrne). Just to see if I was missing anything, you know.

Apparently, I am. Byrne makes quite a point of the importance of a flat floor.
Specifically, he says that a concrete slab shouldn't be more than one-eighth
out of level in 10 feet. Well. I had noticed that the floor dropped off
toward one end of the room. So, I took a level to it and discovered that it
dropped about 1.25 inches in about eight feet.

This is a relatively new (2000) slab. It's not cracked. It just slopes at one
end.

I laid the tiles (12 inches square) out on the floor and identified the
location where they rock slightly. So I presume that is where the slope
begins. It seems to me I could easily compensate for this with a little extra
thinset. But I don't know if that's the best course.

The author doesn't say what will or could happen if I go ahead and tile a floor
like this. So, I'll put it to you folks: How far up S**t Creek am I?

Mark