duzer

Default Furnace repair

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:19:10 GMT, wrote:

I have a 100+ year old Holland Hot Air Furnace that was originally
coal fired and convection based (10" diameter ducts). It's about 6
foot diameter and 5 foot high. Probably in the thirties it was
converted to gas with the addition of Janitrol controls (300,000 BTU)
in (I presume) the area where you'd normally load in the coal and
somewhere along the way it was converted to forced hot air with the
addition of a squirrel cage blower on the side.

(snip)

Gosh - an old Holland furnace. And a double conversion at that. Can't
think of anything less efficient. Takes me back to one summer many
years ago. I went to see about a job offer for the summer between
college years. I was supposed to go to houses and convince the
prospect that they needed their chimneys cleaned. I was to put some
soot on my hand and show how it insulated my flesh from a burning
match. Once the prospect was convinced the Holland furnace Company
moved in and took apart the clients furnace telling them it was in
very dangerous condition and about to blow up. No wonder they went out
of business. Heh. I went to work for a tree trimming company instead.

Anyway, good luck with your furnace.