Greg O

Default Furnace repair

The motor which drives the clockwork mechanism has failed resulting in
the inability to open the gas valve and thus supply heat. So say both
myself and the plumber. He of course would like to sell me a new
furnace at about $6500 something that I'm resisting. I understand that
parts are no longer available for the 1930-ish Janitol controls
although I don't know why not. I can buy parts for a 1930's Packard
car--albeit paying an arm and a leg. Janitrol still exist but don't
even seem to have a website.

The next step down from replacement of the entire thing is to replace
the controls as a group (about $1400) but the problem here is the lack
of a 24 inch blast tube on the modern units according to the plumber.
Most current gas replacement controls use a 12 or so inch blast tube.
Apparently the 24 inch is not an exact measurement but could be 20, 22
etc. I presume the blast tube is some sort of pipe that goes from the
controls to the burner. If they don't make one why couldn't one be
fabricated from steel (titanium? copper? bronze?)? I don't think the
plumber is interested in following this option. How do I get someone
who is?

You would be crazy to stick another dime in that old hulk!!
Pry the money from your wallet and replace the beast! It died years ago, you
just don't realize it yet!
Greg