Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Self driving cars

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 06 Sep 2018 21:42:43 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 06 Sep 2018 11:03:40 +0100, tim...
wrote:

"bert" wrote in message
news In article ,
whisky-dave writes

But if they are so good why do they require a human at the wheel ?

Because they are not THAT good. And probably never will be because
they
may never get through the "nearly good enough" stage.

I think that they easily ought to manage it for motorway & country road
driving (with a fall back to the driver during congestion). It's in
town
where they may struggle.

Unfortunately, it's the self driving in town that is the use case that
makes
most sense from a social pov.

Having a car which I can set to autopilot on the motorway is a nice to
have,
it isn't a game changer - except perhaps for trucks.

There's no reason a computer can't do the simple operation of driving a
car.

There is when the sensors arent economically viable like
when the road is under water or covered with snow.

Why could a camera not cope with snow?

Even you should have notice that the lane markings
are a bit hard to see thru the snow, and even the
edge of the road when the snow is deep enough.

For goodness sake even some women manage it (just).

A likely story.

Have you ever seen a Sheila try to drive?

I actually taught one to drive and she did
rather better than her husband who I also
taught to drive at the same time.

Her problem is lack of confidence.