Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Self driving cars

"bert" wrote in message
news
In article ,
whisky-dave writes

But if they are so good why do they require a human at the wheel ?

Because they are not THAT good. And probably never will be because they
may never get through the "nearly good enough" stage.

I think that they easily ought to manage it for motorway & country road
driving (with a fall back to the driver during congestion). It's in town
where they may struggle.

Unfortunately, it's the self driving in town that is the use case that makes
most sense from a social pov.

Having a car which I can set to autopilot on the motorway is a nice to have,
it isn't a game changer - except perhaps for trucks.