Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulic Press Build

Some tubes have sliding fit inserts of smaller tubes and making up two
or three
tubes inside makes for a strong tube looking device. Often times layers
are
stronger than solid.

Martin

On 9/2/2018 3:32 AM, whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, September 1, 2018 at 11:12:10 AM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:

Hmmmmm.... looks like if I use 1" pins and holes closely sized I'd get some
minor hole deformation at high tonnage the first time I used a particular
set of holes, but be below the yield strength on those holes afterwards
(full engagement of pins after first deformation.)

If instead of pins, you used structural tube, the tube (though having high yield
strength) could elastically deform to the holes, which would minimize their
yield (because of high contact area). Our old (?75) ton press used
tube for the height-adjust pins.