Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default determining the load on a corner "post"

Pete Keillor on Wed, 05 Sep 2018 07:31:54
On Tue, 04 Sep 2018 09:16:03 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Larry Jaques on Mon, 03 Sep 2018
22:08:43 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 13:35:26 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I may have asked this before, but I have A Project in mind. This
is much simpler than the last time, when I wanted to build 4 humanoid
robots to pick up a shipping container at the corners and move it.
"Hup, hup, hup, ... detail halt!"

What I want to do this time is to just "slide an I-beam under the
outbuilding, attach a wheeled unit to each end, pivot the building and
roll it to when I want it." No doubt "A simple procedure involving
lasers." I'm sure. Somewhere.

But, my question is: load capacity of the units. Assume a GW of 3
tons, does that meant that each wheeled unit has to be able to 'carry'
a three ton load, or can I divide the gross weight by 4, add a "fudge
factor" and hope for the best?

This is one of those things I'd talk to one of the old guys, but I
find I am one of the old guys.

Of course, some numb nut will overload a corner or end (unless you're
the owner) VBG

Check these out. I'm sure you'll come up with something interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgWYesO-FkA Axles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzG_DzCeBt0 Mule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrUw9-m_pSA Power dolly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KecvLYEL10g Another dolly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Do8ygIlfA Airplane tug
Last, a Pods setup at 1:34:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9upzzIgm_c
That's the closest to the container trucks at the Port.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYNBTnOJzj0 small version of this

Let us know what you come up with, Pete.

I can draw the parts I doodled most of this out in meetings
("I-beam, end goes into socket in Lifting Unit, bolts both together.
Lifting Unit raises I-beam up by [bottle jack | screw jack | cam |
"other"] powered by [electric | steam | pneumatics | Hydraulics |
magic]. Ground contact can be via large wheels, fat wheels,
caterpillar tread, "feet". Each has advantages /drawbacks. Each beam
has one Lifting Unit at each end, so: Four beams, and four Lifting
Units (pat pending).
Rotate shed, move to new location, lower in place. (¿ ... can I
get concrete railroad ties 10 feet long?) Unbolt I-beams, lather rinse
repeat with the next larger outbuilding. Store I-beams and Lifting
Units for "later".
--
pyotr filipivich

I built my first shed for moving, 8' x 20', on skids of 3 2x8's nailed
together with 20p nails, crossmembers the same, cross braced with 3/8"
cable to eye bolts through the corners.

The Shop is in a store bought shed, the Shed is rebuilt. I'm not
so sure about stability of them in a lifting scenario. the Shop is
probably good, the shed I have less confident in (I built it, and know
the corners I took.)

When it came time to move it, I disconnected the power, then tugged on
one end while pivoting it around the huge sycamore it was behind, then
winched it onto Dad's truck with the lift bed and winch. Drove about
15 miles, then dropped it at my new house. Jacked, leveled on blocks,
and ran the new electric. There was no sheetrock, so no sign of damage
at all.

I've a friend who says "Oh, just let me know, I can bring the
tractor ...". Not sure that's a good idea, or that we can get it
into the space available.
OTOH, there are come-alongs and cable/chain. Set a couple three
anchors and "Bob's yer uncle" or I'll have new beds plowed for
gardening.

--
pyotr filipivich