Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Removing stainless steel trim head screws

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 9:32:26 PM UTC-4, John Grossbohlin wrote:
option is to break all the heads off, pry the board off and then
back out the screws by chucking them in a drill. That has worked for me
too. Alternatively, break the heads off, pry the board off, and bend the
remaining screw over... some may snap off some my not. If you are
replacing
the deck boards the remains of the screws will be hidden.

I think that trying to chuck 200 "screw remains" in a drill would be a real
pain. Close, open, close, open, over and over again. I think cutting them
flush with any one of various tools would be quicker/easier.

No matter what, this job is going to be tedious... If he wants complete
removal the drill is the way to go. Otherwise bend them over or as you
suggest cut them off...

I've run into situations where replacing the framing was the best option as
removing the old decking and fasteners was not working out well at all and
my time was worth far more than the cost of the new materials.