Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default determining the load on a corner "post"

On Tue, 04 Sep 2018 09:16:03 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Larry Jaques on Tue, 04 Sep 2018
07:32:04 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 18:43:38 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sun, 02 Sep 2018 15:03:32 -0700
On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 13:35:26 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:
Once the preliminaries are done, then Ill be scaling down to move
my footlockers around. (I had this idea for a camp setup, using a
20' shipping container as a base, and outfitting the Clanks with
appropriate livery, depending on if I'm reenacting medieval or
Steampunk. But that's a digression.)

Clanks? Which def?
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Clank

"... clanks (impossibly advanced steampunk robots), dirigibles and
walking gunboats of the world there are constructs – biological
creations which range from Frankenstein-style creatures to talking
cats and mouse-sized mammoths."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Genius

Oh, THOSE clanks. Got it.

Loved the films Hugo, The Golden Compass, Van Helsing, The League of
Extraordinary Gentlemen, and Sherlock Holmes for their Steampunk.

What I'd really like to know is: how do I calculate the load
bearing capacity needed by the robot which is going to pick up the
corner.

Why calculate when you could overengineer the things so they could
heft the large buildings onto a single corner with one hand? Compete
with Optimus Prime. (He'd have the calcs handy, but go with 25T.)

Going out on a limb, I'm guessing you can rule out pneumatics here.

Changing approaches, decided I can't just roll any of this over
the Missus's Daisys, so I want to use a couple Rocs. Maybe some
griffins. Now I all need to know what the tension on the straps to the
harness will be.

I strongly recommend dragons over those silly animals. another plus
is that you can have them clear/sterilize the setdown area in seconds.
Well, if you properly shield things nearby. Got scales?

And where I can lay my hands on a couple environmentally friendly
and sustainably sourced elephant carcases, but that's getting off
track.

What on Earth for?

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French