Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default determining the load on a corner "post"

On Tue, 04 Sep 2018 09:16:03 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Larry Jaques on Mon, 03 Sep 2018
22:08:43 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 13:35:26 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I may have asked this before, but I have A Project in mind. This
is much simpler than the last time, when I wanted to build 4 humanoid
robots to pick up a shipping container at the corners and move it.
"Hup, hup, hup, ... detail halt!"

What I want to do this time is to just "slide an I-beam under the
outbuilding, attach a wheeled unit to each end, pivot the building and
roll it to when I want it." No doubt "A simple procedure involving
lasers." I'm sure. Somewhere.

But, my question is: load capacity of the units. Assume a GW of 3
tons, does that meant that each wheeled unit has to be able to 'carry'
a three ton load, or can I divide the gross weight by 4, add a "fudge
factor" and hope for the best?

This is one of those things I'd talk to one of the old guys, but I
find I am one of the old guys.

Of course, some numb nut will overload a corner or end (unless you're
the owner) VBG

Check these out. I'm sure you'll come up with something interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgWYesO-FkA Axles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzG_DzCeBt0 Mule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrUw9-m_pSA Power dolly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KecvLYEL10g Another dolly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Do8ygIlfA Airplane tug
Last, a Pods setup at 1:34:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9upzzIgm_c
That's the closest to the container trucks at the Port.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYNBTnOJzj0 small version of this

Let us know what you come up with, Pete.

I can draw the parts I doodled most of this out in meetings
("I-beam, end goes into socket in Lifting Unit, bolts both together.
Lifting Unit raises I-beam up by [bottle jack | screw jack | cam |
"other"] powered by [electric | steam | pneumatics | Hydraulics |
magic]. Ground contact can be via large wheels, fat wheels,
caterpillar tread, "feet". Each has advantages /drawbacks. Each beam
has one Lifting Unit at each end, so: Four beams, and four Lifting
Units (pat pending).
Rotate shed, move to new location, lower in place. (¿ ... can I
get concrete railroad ties 10 feet long?) Unbolt I-beams, lather rinse
repeat with the next larger outbuilding. Store I-beams and Lifting
Units for "later".

What? All you have is a napkin at this point? Sheesh...

--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French