Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Removing stainless steel trim head screws

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 9:32:26 PM UTC-4, John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Dick Snyder" wrote in message

Without going into a lot of detail, I have to remove about 200 stainless
steel trim head screws from a deck made of Cambara. When I have used my
power drill in the past, the heads have broken off because the stainless

You might try tightening them a little before trying to back them out...
That approach has solved a lot of removal problems for me in the past. On
the other hand, it might just break the head off which leads to another
possible solution!

Another option is to break all the heads off, pry the board off and then
back out the screws by chucking them in a drill. That has worked for me
too. Alternatively, break the heads off, pry the board off, and bend the
remaining screw over... some may snap off some my not. If you are replacing
the deck boards the remains of the screws will be hidden.

I think that trying to chuck 200 "screw remains" in a drill would be a real
pain. Close, open, close, open, over and over again. I think cutting them
flush with any one of various tools would be quicker/easier.