Steve

Default Heat Pump defrost cycle??

I have just a basic understanding of the refrigeration cycle of AC and Heat
pumps and once my unit is operating properly (I assume) I just take if for
granted.

During the cooler months of the year when I am using my heat pump, rather
than my pellet stove, I hear it occasionally go into a defrost cycle. The
fan in the outside unit will be stopped and I can hear the compressor
humming away. I've been told it is pump hot gas back into the outside coils
to eliminate any frost or condensation build up..

Now for my question: Several times a week I drive by a million dollar home
on the shore of Hood Canal. There is a AC/Heat Pump unit plainly visiable..
Well not exactly visiable during the winter since it is always totally
encased in gigantic ball of frost and ice. Really, it about 6 ft in
diameter. If I ever saw someone outside (and I thought I knew what I was
talking about) I would stop and suggest that they call the service man to
adjust the cycle control settings.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a unit in this condition could be
operating anywhere near efficiently??

I know we have several AC people hanging out here.. Comments please??

Steve