CK

Default HOw to replace small sectin of copper pipe

In article ,
says...
montana wrote in message .. .
In article , jim wrote:

its hard to fix just a hole in the plubming when working with
copper/soldering.. you might have to go a little further and replace the
complete section or about 2 feet of it.. remmber that if you have water
in there its gonna be hard to work up a good heat to do the soldering
and the water turns into steam and blows out the solder(so you dont get
a good seal) thats what happend to me on a nail hole in copper....

I had a similar problem. We opened faucets on either side of the line we
were working on so the water/steam would have a means of escape, but it
wasn't as helpful as we would have liked. There's also a cloth product
that helps you avoid accidental fires, but it never hurts to keep a
couple of buckets of water &/or extinguishers nearby.

Getting the water out will be a problem. The pipe comes directly up
from a crawl space in the basement where it elbows 90 degrees directly
into a cutoff valve. Unless I cut the pipe off below the burst
somewhere I don't see how I can get all of the water out. However, I
have an advantage in that the top is connected to a flex pipe to the
faucet, meaning there is a lot of play in moving the 2 pieces
together. So I am planning on soldering the bottom first, so the
steam goes out the top, then the top of the new section with the
faucet open. Hopefully the steam will go through the faucet.

Try shutting off the main and use a wet-dry vac to get the water out of
the pipes use a narrow vacuum nozzel.