Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Cool Wooden Restaurant Benches - Comfortable?

On Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 7:55:56 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Of all of the things I do not build, anything you sit on. Seating is
just too touchy to get right.

Getting a little off Derby's subject, some comments about seating:
I've built quite a few seats and, yes, it's somewhat hard to make a nice comfortable seat that suits everyone. I suspect this is one problem with comfortable seating, that, one design can't satisfy all sitters. For some time, now, I've built to satisfy my personal comfort and that seems to be the best approach for achieving more of others' comfort, as well.

In many of my seat-building cases, it hasn't been the comfort aspect that has been my most pressing problem, but getting the correct jointery and mating of the joints, for the overall surety of the structure, especially with rocking chairs, where the forces, on the structure, vary, as one rocks.

As to rocking chairs, one leg longer and/or the angle (front to back) of each the rockers, themselves, needs to be the same exact angle, otherwise the rocker will creep sideways, across the floor, as one rocks.

Sonny