Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Removing stainless steel trim head screws

On 9/3/2018 8:31 AM, Dick Snyder wrote:

Thanks to all who replied. This rec is always so helpful. After reading
all replies, my plan is to get a T-10 bit with a standard 1/4" base
which will work with my socket set. Loosening the screws will go quickly
then. Once I back them out a couple of turns I can remove them without
any breakage.

Often with stuck screws smacking the screw driver with a hammer will
loosen the screw enough to torque it out. Impact drill/driver also work
well to ease out screws. Also, combining methods with a $15 impact
screwdriver:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-3...2905/205674679

Just about always works.

I have a deck I built 25 years ago using the same deck screws you did.
Wolmanized lumber shrinks around the screw when it dry's out, making it
next to impossible to get the screws out without extraordinary measures.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com