Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem[_2_] Markem[_2_] is offline

Default Removing stainless steel trim head screws

On Mon, 03 Sep 2018 12:40:09 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 03 Sep 2018 10:45:57 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On Mon, 03 Sep 2018 11:06:03 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 03 Sep 2018 00:10:31 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 21:01:51 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 16:24:06 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 17:07:31 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 14:22:39 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On Sun, 2 Sep 2018 10:21:54 -0400, Dick Snyder
wrote:

Without going into a lot of detail, I have to remove about 200 stainless
steel trim head screws from a deck made of Cambara. When I have used my
power drill in the past, the heads have broken off because the stainless
steel is soft. If I grip my T-10 bit in a vice grip, I can slowly ease
the #8 x 2 1/2" screws out but I am hoping to find a faster solution.
The base of the T-10 bit will not fit in any of my english or metric
sockets (just a hair lose in 1/4" and too tight in 7/32"). I wish when
my dad died 30 years ago that I had taken the brace from his tool
collection but I not. The ideal tool would be a 3 jaw reversible ratchet
brace but they are expensive. I can't find a neighbor that has a brace.
Does anyone have a better idea than my vice grip?

TIA.

Dick Snyder
Souothborough, MA

Do you have a speed wrench in your socket set? Same idea as a brace
1/4 inch socket with a bit of slick tape on the bit to take up the
slack.
what's wrong with a bit-holder socket? the magnetic ones are nice and
available pretty cheap - but the ones with a spring work just as well
and are even cheaper.

Nothing but if you have not got one and you have other tools, so I was
just suggesting ideas.
I.ve found using the right tool for the job is generally a LOT
simpler

Okay be as you will be, but right may not be what someone has.

As easy and cheap as it is to have the right tool there REALLY is no
excuse to bodge things. And the right tool will be usefull for MANY
other jobs as well.

Generally speaking, Snyders like havingthe right tools on hand.

I have torx that fit a 3/8s drive so that would be my right tool.

No arguement there - and you can use your speed handle if you have
one - without a 3/8 to 1/4 reducer.

Actually I probably would not be that patient, bust the heads off the
screws and get out the pry bar, use a hammer the break off what is
left and finally the sink what is left with same hammer. But that is
not what the OP asked.