Posted to rec.woodworking
Dick Snyder[_6_] Dick Snyder[_6_] is offline

Default Removing stainless steel trim head screws

On 9/2/2018 10:21 AM, Dick Snyder wrote:
Without going into a lot of detail, I have to remove about 200 stainless
steel trim head screws from a deck made of Cambara. When I have used my
power drill in the past, the heads have broken off because the stainless
steel is soft. If I grip my T-10 bitÂ* in aÂ* vice grip, I can slowly ease
the #8 x 2 1/2" screws out but I am hoping to find a faster solution.
The base of the T-10 bit will not fit in any of my english or metric
sockets (just a hair lose in 1/4" and too tight in 7/32"). I wish when
my dad died 30 years ago that I had taken the brace from his tool
collection but I not. The ideal tool would be a 3 jaw reversible ratchet
brace but they are expensive. I can't find a neighbor that has a brace.
Does anyone have a better idea than my vice grip?

TIA.

Dick Snyder
Souothborough, MA

Thanks to all who replied. This rec is always so helpful. After reading
all replies, my plan is to get a T-10 bit with a standard 1/4" base
which will work with my socket set. Loosening the screws will go quickly
then. Once I back them out a couple of turns I can remove them without
any breakage.

Thanks again all!

Dick Snyder