Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default determining the load on a corner "post"

On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 18:43:38 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" on Sun, 2 Sep 2018 21:06:01 -0400
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
news

I may have asked this before, but I have A Project in mind. This
is much simpler than the last time, when I wanted to build 4
humanoid
robots to pick up a shipping container at the corners and move it.
"Hup, hup, hup, ... detail halt!"

What I want to do this time is to just "slide an I-beam under the
outbuilding, attach a wheeled unit to each end, pivot the building
and
roll it to when I want it." No doubt "A simple procedure involving
lasers." I'm sure. Somewhere.

But, my question is: load capacity of the units. Assume a GW of 3
tons, does that meant that each wheeled unit has to be able to
'carry'
a three ton load, or can I divide the gross weight by 4, add a
"fudge
factor" and hope for the best?

This is one of those things I'd talk to one of the old guys, but I
find I am one of the old guys.

tschus
pyotr

You need to be clearer about the "wheeled unit".

Your one I-beam and four wheels only makes sense to me if you rig it
like a tandem axle trailer. If the two(?) wheels on a side are on a
pivoting bar that lets them adjust to uneven ground then they share
the load, if their axles are rigidly attached to the I-beam then they
don't.

Can you guys not answer the question I didn't ask? Grumble,
grumble; kids these days. Just like when I was a boy.
Reevaluating, I'm going to be working with nanobots which will
interlace sort of like legos or ants. So what I want to know, if each
nanobot can lift a gram, do I need the swarm at one corner to be able
to hoist 3,000,000 grams, or can they just lift a quarter of that? I
don't want to have to turn out more than I need is why I'm asking.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich

Lifting one corner...of a structure that is not constructed for
this..means you are transferring a load through the floor joists,
flooring, studs and up through your roof line. IE: **** is gonna
break and come un****ed. Best to leave it flat and slide it as a whole
rather than loading a radiating point.

Call a house mover.

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---