Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default determining the load on a corner "post"

Gunner Asch on Sun, 02 Sep 2018 15:03:32 -0700
On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 13:35:26 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I may have asked this before, but I have A Project in mind. This
is much simpler than the last time, when I wanted to build 4 humanoid
robots to pick up a shipping container at the corners and move it.
"Hup, hup, hup, ... detail halt!"

What I want to do this time is to just "slide an I-beam under the
outbuilding, attach a wheeled unit to each end, pivot the building and
roll it to when I want it." No doubt "A simple procedure involving
lasers." I'm sure. Somewhere.

But, my question is: load capacity of the units. Assume a GW of 3
tons, does that meant that each wheeled unit has to be able to 'carry'
a three ton load, or can I divide the gross weight by 4, add a "fudge
factor" and hope for the best?

This is one of those things I'd talk to one of the old guys, but I
find I am one of the old guys.

What are the dimensions of the building, is it empty or full, what is
the floor construction and how far do you need to move it in a lineal
direction?

One is 10'x16'by16' high, "framed" floor with 9/8 T&G flooring
glued & nailed. It's rotating 90° and moving ~20 feet more or less.
The other is 10'x12'by10' high. Also going to be rotated, but
moved about 30 feet.
The Big One is 26 by 32 and two stories. It is jut going to get
rotated. But I might add a basement while I have it off the piers.

Once the preliminaries are done, then Ill be scaling down to move
my footlockers around. (I had this idea for a camp setup, using a
20' shipping container as a base, and outfitting the Clanks with
appropriate livery, depending on if I'm reenacting medieval or
Steampunk. But that's a digression.)

What I'd really like to know is: how do I calculate the load
bearing capacity needed by the robot which is going to pick up the
corner.
--
pyotr filipivich