Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem[_2_] Markem[_2_] is offline

Default Removing stainless steel trim head screws

On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 17:07:31 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Sep 2018 14:22:39 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On Sun, 2 Sep 2018 10:21:54 -0400, Dick Snyder
wrote:

Without going into a lot of detail, I have to remove about 200 stainless
steel trim head screws from a deck made of Cambara. When I have used my
power drill in the past, the heads have broken off because the stainless
steel is soft. If I grip my T-10 bit in a vice grip, I can slowly ease
the #8 x 2 1/2" screws out but I am hoping to find a faster solution.
The base of the T-10 bit will not fit in any of my english or metric
sockets (just a hair lose in 1/4" and too tight in 7/32"). I wish when
my dad died 30 years ago that I had taken the brace from his tool
collection but I not. The ideal tool would be a 3 jaw reversible ratchet
brace but they are expensive. I can't find a neighbor that has a brace.
Does anyone have a better idea than my vice grip?

TIA.

Dick Snyder
Souothborough, MA

Do you have a speed wrench in your socket set? Same idea as a brace
1/4 inch socket with a bit of slick tape on the bit to take up the
slack.

what's wrong with a bit-holder socket? the magnetic ones are nice and
available pretty cheap - but the ones with a spring work just as well
and are even cheaper.

Nothing but if you have not got one and you have other tools, so I was
just suggesting ideas.