Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default Removing stainless steel trim head screws

On 9/2/2018 9:31 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/2/2018 10:21 AM, Dick Snyder wrote:
Without going into a lot of detail, I have to remove about 200
stainless steel trim head screws from a deck made of Cambara. When I
have used my power drill in the past, the heads have broken off
because the stainless steel is soft. If I grip my T-10 bitÂ* in aÂ* vice
grip, I can slowly ease the #8 x 2 1/2" screws out but I am hoping to
find a faster solution. The base of the T-10 bit will not fit in any
of my english or metric sockets (just a hair lose in 1/4" and too
tight in 7/32"). I wish when my dad died 30 years ago that I had taken
the brace from his tool collection but I not. The ideal tool would be
a 3 jaw reversible ratchet brace but they are expensive. I can't find
a neighbor that has a brace. Does anyone have a better idea than my
vice grip?

TIA.

Dick Snyder
Souothborough, MA

Wow, I just looked at the price of a ratchet brace and was surprised.
Mine is about 50 years old and rarely used.

I do have a thought.Â* How about a T handle used to hod a tap?Â* If you
give the screw a turn or so, will that loosed it enough to come out with
the power drill and not break?

Along the same lines (more or less), how about an adjustable torque
impact driver? I have a little Bosch 12v that really does a nice job
removing and setting screws. You can adjust the force applied (on or
off) and I find that little bit of vibration - just enough to rock its
world but not enough to torque it off - usually does the trick.