Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default White Westing House tub moves

On 9/1/2018 1:36 AM, wrote:

Thats a name I have not heard in ages. "Westinghouse" Is that company
still in business? If not, that machine must be at least 50 years old.

Circle-W sold the appliance business to White Sewing Machine Co. in
mid-70s; became "White-Westinghouse" then. I think they eventually were
bought up by somebody but don't know otomh.

Westinghouse began to lose their way clear back in the 50s-60s by
getting enamored with the broadcasting side of TV and seeing "big bucks"
in consumer finance after the wars (II and Korean). Bought into all
kinds of non-core businesses as disparate as a toy manufacturer to 7-Up
bottling. By the 70s-80s they're in the straits of having to sell off
the technical portions of the business to keep the other afloat, in
1990(?) Westinghouse Credit goes belly-up w/ a $1B loss on bad consumer
debt and sells off all the power generation business to Asea Brown
Boveri (ABB) and by 1997 sells the nuclear energy division, its last
major manufacturing asset to BNFL (British Nuclear Fuels, Ltd) and
Siemens bought the rest of the non-nuclear power generation and
distribution business shortly thereafter and Westinghouse, with nothing
left of its former self, renamed itself to CBS. At some point Viacom
bought CBS and that was the end of the original Westinghouse. Sad fate
for George...

Toshiba acquired the BNFL assets and operates the nuclear division as
Westinghouse Electric Company.

Siemens operated under the name of Siemens Westinghouse until early
2000's but dropped it as the name recognition became worthless and they
smooshed all the specific technologies into their own.

In the 60s, "Circle W" was our prime competitor in the commercial
nuclear fuel market and, of course, pioneered all the US nuclear navy
reactors. We built all the fuel for the navy at the B&W NNFD (Navy
Nuclear Fuel Division) at Mt Athos plant while NPGD (Nuclear Power
Generation Division) operated in Lynchburg.

With the long hiatus in commercial nuclear power construction in the US,
all the US vendors struggled to continue; B&W also went through several
reorganizations after being acquired by McDermott but continues as B&W
and BWXT which handles all the Navy and other government nuclear
operations and B&W is the descendent of the original Babcock & Wilcox,
still in non-nuclear power generation.