John Hines

Default HOw to replace small sectin of copper pipe

(Joseph Logan) wrote:

(Heathcliff Bambino) wrote in message . com...
(Joseph Logan) wrote in message . com...
Thanks for everyones help.
I bought all of the materials and started the prep work.
I have removed a 2 inch section of the damaged pipe and cleaned the
inside of both ends as well as the new piece I cut with a wire brush
for the inside and emory paper for the outside to remove oxidation. I
also stuck a small baster down in the pipe and tried to remove all the
water that I could. I know that there is at least 6 inches of
"dryness" below the part of the pipe I am replacing. Is this
sufficient or is their a chance that steam will build up down there
and condence on the hot pipe near the point where I will be soldering?

Well how did it go? I was going to suggest more efforts at draining
the pipe -- most houses have some way to shut off the whole water
system and drain it. Or you could try to finagle it by opening a
lower faucet somewhere, if you have one. Or get a 3 foot length of
plastic tubing and attach it your baster.

I still haven't started soldering, but I have read in more than one
space that putting bread without the crust down in the pipe will
eliminate the chance of steam.

Keep a faucet open in the house, in the area with the water off, so that
any steam has a place to escape, and not build up pressure, then you
should be fine.