Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fox's Mercantile Fox's Mercantile is offline

Default Replacing Large Electrolytics

On 8/28/18 4:15 AM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
If you're a professional repair tech, I can see why you would
only use new parts. But I'm just a ham; a hobbyist. And we
hams have been successfully reforming electros for many decades
without any adverse outcomes. Loads of info on the net it you
care to look for it, but I'm guessing since you're a pro you'll
turn your nose up at the very thought!

Hams are notoriously cheap.
And the internet is a cesspool of useless information.

I've been a licensed Ham for 50 years now.
You wouldn't believe some of the butchery I've encountered on
Ham radio gear. I have a phrase for it. Joe "Claw Hammer" Ham
has been here. Apparently having a ham license gives you the
ability to think you know more than any commercial engineer.

That being said, I've used old NOS capacitors for myself.
But I don't waste my time reforming them. They either work right
the first time they have power applied or they don't.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0