HA HA Budys Here

Default condensing boilers cost lot more than condensing force-air furnaces?

From: "R. Kalia"

I am looking into getting a new boiler in our house, which has hot water
heat.

Some years ago, in another house, a relative had a 90% two-stage 80,000BTU
Trane forced-air furnace installed for about $3000. Now my house is larger
and there are some pumps and valves that need replacing and also the
compression tank. But according to the first and only quote I got, just the
difference in price between a 80% boiler and a 90% boiler is $3000 (both
about 135,000 BTU/hr, $5500 for 80% vs $8500 for 90%). In both cases the
same pumps/valve/tank need replacing.

This installer comes highly recommended and I normally don't shop just by
price, but I am wondering why condensing technology should cost so much
more in a boiler compared to a forced-air furnace.

As with ANY home improvement you're considering contracting out, (electrical
work, additions, roofing, siding, leaders, gutters, paving, grading, carpeting,
etc...) get a few more quotes and and make sure they're ITEMIZED. You want to
know exactly what the materials charge is and the LABOR charge is.

Some contractors work 3 days a week and drive Mercedes Benz's and others work
5-6 days a week and drive Ford F-150's.

I had my boiler replaced 3 years ago when I converted to gas heat from oil.
(Same hot-water baseboard as yours) And the old oil burner also provided
domestic hot water, but now I've a seperate gas water heater.

The boiler was suppposed to be "free" supplied by the gas company and installed
by one of their "approved" conversion gas heat/plumbing contractors. You picked
the contractor from the gas company's list.

The first 3 estimates came in at over 3000.00, one almost 4000.00, which was
twice I was quoted when I got 2 previous estimates WITHOUT the boiler being
provided "free" by the gas company.

There are some contractors who price their work according to what they think
it's worth to you, and others who price thier work according to what it's worth
to them. You need to find one of the latter group.

I ended up using a small 2-man show plumber contractor, (not a big well known
name from the utility's list) who worked with his partner for 6 hours. Total
bill was less than 1100.00 to install the free boiler and less than 25' of gas
line with 2 valves. It would have been 1700.00 If I upgraded to a higher
efficiency unit supplied by my installer if I gave him the less-than efficient,
"builder's special" the utility gave me free.

I had him install the free model anyway for a number of reasons. My home is
VERY well insulated as I replaced all the windows and doors myself. I wanted
standard equipment that even a rookie gas/heating tech would be familiar with
and able to diagnose, as well as myself.

In short, do your homework and shop around. IMHO a plumber should charge labor
at a standard rate, not more per hour when he's installing a boiler than when
he's changing a faucet washer. And without a detailed estimate it's difficult
to question the quote.