Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Replacing Large Electrolytics

On Saturday, 25 August 2018 00:42:23 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:

I had 3 faulty electrolytics; all 30V/5500uF. In my spares bin I found 6
NOS (new old stock) electros of values 35V/3300uF which when stacked 2
high and wired in parallel occupy - fortunately - the same footprint as
the ones that failed.
These spares, though unused, are probably 40 years old. Will they need re-
forming gradually over 24hrs before installing?

I'd get newer ones if possible. At that age they'll be dead or near to it. In apps where high ESR is acceptable they last better, but still 40 is 80 human years for lytics.

NT