Newby

Default HOw to replace small sectin of copper pipe

"Joseph Logan" wrote in message
om...
montana wrote in message

.. .
In article , jim wrote:

its hard to fix just a hole in the plubming when working with
copper/soldering.. you might have to go a little further and replace

the
complete section or about 2 feet of it.. remmber that if you have

water
in there its gonna be hard to work up a good heat to do the soldering
and the water turns into steam and blows out the solder(so you dont

get
a good seal) thats what happend to me on a nail hole in copper....

I had a similar problem. We opened faucets on either side of the line we
were working on so the water/steam would have a means of escape, but it
wasn't as helpful as we would have liked. There's also a cloth product
that helps you avoid accidental fires, but it never hurts to keep a
couple of buckets of water &/or extinguishers nearby.

Getting the water out will be a problem.

{snipped}

Get some "Sure Sweat" capsules from a plumbing supply house. Don't know if
Lowe's or Home Depot sells them. Get the size for the diameter copper you
have. Push the capsule into the copper with a dowel. The capsule
effectively plugs the line and doesn't let the residual water in the line
interfere with your soldering. The capsules dissolve when you turn the
water on in the line. People have also been known to use bread to plug the
line. It too will dissolve when you turn the water on.