Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Is there an advantage to a WORM GEAR circular saw

On 8/23/2018 3:39 AM, wrote:

So if there is an advantage, what is it?

You've outlined one for serious work, power and especially much more torque.

If righthanded, the blade is on left so see it directly to follow cut line.

Longer frame and handle directly behind instead of on top is both more
ergonomic and lends to easier control, particularly for longer rip cuts.

Weight is both plus/minus -- if orient piece as many framers do with
boot, saw runs downhill and weight helps. If trimming overhead or must
support, it can be hindrance. One does have to get used to a 12 (mag)
to 15-lb saw vs 8-10 for most sidewinders.

As somebody else noted, they're a professional's saw; the average DIY'er
will probably be more satisfied more of the time with sidewinder.

Another noted, they are particularly prominent on the west coast; while
in VA I don't think I saw a one on a job site other than mine that I
took with me when I moved. It was a real novelty.