Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default microphone cable

In article ,
says...

You have a point, but is the higher capacitance enough to matter for a
relatively short cable?

Also, has the D104 crystal element held up over time? My recollection
of microphones back in the 50s, was that a crystal element eventually
"dissolves" in normal humidity. The D104C ceramic version was supposed
to overcome that problem.

Fred

My mic could have either a crystal or the ceramic element, I am not
sure which. Like you mentioned, the crystal elements often did not hold
up very well. Hard telling how old this one is as it was given to my by
a friend that got it from a long gone ham.

Four feet of the rg 58 type cable has about 120 to 150 pf of
capacitance. There is 300 to 500 pf connected directly across the mic
input of the transmitter inside at the mic connector.

Again this is not hifi and 20 or 50 feet of cable where I am sure it
would make a difference.