Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default microphone cable

In article ,
Fox's Mercantile wrote:

On 8/22/18 4:00 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
This is for a D104 Crystal mic that is going nto an old Johnson
Viking 2 transmitter . The audio quality on them is not all that
great from what I understand.

Only if you've been listening to the "broadcast quality" AM guys.
The D104 tends to accentuate the highs.

That transmitter is set up for just a center conductor and outer
shield. An audio plug similar to a pl259 with the center pin
just flush with the connector. Forgot what they are called.

They are called an Amphenol connectors.
By the way, if you want to do the PTT upgrade, that Mic connector
is mounted in a 3/8" hole, so a standard 1/4" TRS jack will fit.

I did not think it would matter in this case what kind of cable
I used.

Actually, it makes a lot of difference. The audio input on the
Viking is a vacuum tube grid. And the D104 is a high impedance.
As such you want to use low capacitance cable. RG-- is not low
capacitance.

You have a point, but is the higher capacitance enough to matter for a
relatively short cable?

Also, has the D104 crystal element held up over time? My recollection
of microphones back in the 50s, was that a crystal element eventually
"dissolves" in normal humidity. The D104C ceramic version was supposed
to overcome that problem.

Fred