Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Better get an allotment or a second hand refrigerated truck?

On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 12:49:32 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:
snip

And did anyone explain, in clear terms, what that would likely mean in
practice? An individual's freedoms, job security, freedom of movement,
standard of living? Do you seriously expect me to believe that they did?

No, and anyone claiming to know is a liar, and would be the case
whether we leave or remain, whether Blair got in in 1997 or whether
John Major did etc etc et-bloody-cetra.

How about using your common sense and realising that, gosh, we can't
predict the future, eh?

No, those of us with common sense realised that at the beginning and
therefore required more information before we would be able to vote on
it.

That said, I'm guessing you have never heard the phrase, 'Better the
devil you know' and good or bad, the status quo was / is *much* more
of a known than anything else. We obviously also realised that the
status quo wasn't going to be forever but we also knew we could do
something about it whenever we wanted, should the need arise.

Now wasn't the right time (apparently) for the 2/3rds of the
electorate who didn't vote for it.

Common sense would also allow folk to comprehend that we are talking
about what should happen now, about the situation now, not focusing on
events that happened in the past.

It's my understanding that 'most people' had no feelings about the EU,
had no issues with immigrants (in general) ad CGAF about where any
rules were made.

What they will be bothered about is any increased cost of living, no
extra jobs or housing, more difficulty traveling around the EU, plus
loads of other issues we have and haven't even considered yet and all
for what? Just to massage the ideals of a (mostly blinkered /
gullible) minority?

Cheers, T i m