Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Cost of renewables (slightly OT)

On 22/08/2018 22:01, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 21:47:04 +0100, newshound
wrote:

http://watt-logic.com/2018/08/22/myth-4/

Interesting critique of recent report commissioned by these people

https://www.nic.org.uk/

"The National Infrastructure Commission (NIC) provides the government
with impartial, expert advice on major long-term infrastructure
challenges" (taken from .gov.uk)

Andrews' critique on the NIC report, on which the Watt-logic article
is based, is here https://tinyurl.com/ydysuy2x

Thanks, that is an even better link.

Depressing, isn't it.

Politicians, of course, will be delighted with the advice "Don't bother
to build more nukes". Talk about chosing the consultants who will give
you the results you want.

And JC is faffing on about taxing Facebook to subsidise the BBC.

I wonder if there is any possibility that GW models might start to show
that decarbonisation is not quite so "essential". I suspect that the
Juggernaut is unstoppable on the decadal timescale.

While on the subject of renewables, there's also this interesting MIT
review on use of batteries:

"The $2.5 trillion reason we cant rely on batteries to clean up the
grid" https://tinyurl.com/y7c9vtrw