Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Air Compressor Woes - Its Not the Bandaid - Pressure Switch

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 09:58:55 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I got it all back together yesterday, and while I had it apart and the tank
at one atmosphere I added a single quick coupler in front of the shut off
valve to the rest of the shop. Now I don't have to go through a full start
up and shut down to air up a tire, and if I need to blow out the filter
screen in one of the separators or the air dryer I can without getting the
roll around out of the garage.

Seemed to take forever to come up to pressure, but I stood there patiently
and slowly adjusted down the pressure shut off screw as it approached my
desired shutoff pressure. Nailed it about perfectly first try. Then I
popped the safety valve and it kicked back on about 10PSI above the highest
minimum pressure I need for any automated or semi automated equipment.

Excellent!
Smart move.

Part of my job is installing and maintaining air compressors of every
brand and type.

Far too many of them have a min pressure of 150 with a max shut off of
175 or so. This is fine when you have a single tank..but most of my
clients run auxillary tanks around the shop so they have on average..
500 gallons of air just sitting around. Takes forever to pump that
much volume up to 175 and then using it at max of 100 pounds..most
units require 80-90 lbs. Run em at 125 at most..takes a big load off
the compressor(s) and runs the system well enough for nearly all
applications. One of the reasons I like screw compressors...let em
run full time so you dont have start/stop surges, and when they drop
down to the minimum..they kick in the clutch and fill the system back
to full (generally 125) in just a minute or two.

Gunner
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---