zxcvbob

Default HOw to replace small sectin of copper pipe

Joseph Logan wrote:
Our bathroom addition was made in such a fashion that the room can
actually get so cold as to freeze the water pipe.
Well it happened and now I have a small 1/2" hole in the hot water
copper pipe.
I want to cut out a 2" section and replace to fix. Does anyone know
of a nice site that can give me the step by step here? I am a
woodworker by trade and have never done much with the plumbing except
replacing a faucet.

THanks

Cut out 3 or 4 inches if you can -- it'll be easier to solder. Get all the
water out the the pipe. Buff the pipe ends with a little emory cloth to
get the oxidation off. Use a "repair coupling" instead of normal a normal
coupling for one end of the patch so you can assemble everything. Brush
the insides of the couplings with a wire "fitting brush" will make it
easier to solder. Use plenty of flux when you solder it; when you get the
pipe hot enough the joint should suck up the melted solder. While the
joint is still kind of hot, wipe with a damp cloth to remove the excess flux.

I use a piece of steel cut out from a can to shield the nearby wood to keep
it from burning.

Best regards,
Bob