Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default Removing Large Electrolytics

I use a Metcal which is a 40 Watt iron very well controlled but when removing caps from computer motherboards where there are no thermal reliefs to the ground plane, NO soldering iron can unsolder it alone. The pin can't conduct the heat fast enough. I also have a cheap Chinese hot air tool. Set the temp on the air tool slightly below the melt temp so it won't 'blow' any SMD parts (none on the 466) off the board. This becomes a 2 handed operation.. While heating with the Metcal, I 'auxiliary' heat the board with the hot air tool for about 20 seconds. This WILL get hot enough to use your Edsyn Soldapullt to clear the hole and not lift any pads or damage the board.

Cutting up the cap and then removing the separate pins is OK IF you can destroy it without damaging the board. I've had excellent results with the aux heating technique which is faster than dismembering the part.

Torches are WAY too brutal especially in a Tek.