Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Vintage equipment voltage measurement

On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 9:14:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
OK - Let me start off with the statement, paraphrased from A.A. Milne:

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

I have been repairing and restoring vintage equipment, as a hobby, for over 40 years now. For over 25 years of that time, I have used a Fluke auto-ranging DMM, and never a VTVM or similar vintage equivalent, although I have used same for comparative purposes. Discovering the following:

a) Yes, I have gotten different voltage readings 'from the book'.
b) Many (but not all) of which are explained by higher wall-plate voltages.
c) The differences not explained by wall-plate voltages are usually consistent.
d) Meaning that I can account for, and adjust to these differences without having to introduce outboard solutions.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Just to add (and not referring directly to any measurements you may have made) that many discrepancies in measurements are the result of not following the service manual specifics regarding test conditions. A properly prepared SM will include the conditions of measurement - such as line voltage, warm up time, impedance of the meter, whether or not a signal is applied, setting of customer controls and service adjustments and placement of switches or functions selected. There are others I'm sure.