Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unearthed IEC lead.

On Friday, 17 August 2018 18:09:42 UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 17 August 2018 16:17:01 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 17/08/2018 15:10, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 17 August 2018 14:06:50 UTC+1, Clive Arthur wrote:
In article , Clive Arthur
wrote:
I've just cut a bog standard IEC power lead with moulded plugs so
I can shorten it. There is no earth wire, and no indication that
there is no earth wire.

I'm aware that most things don't use the earth, but can this be
legal?

Not uncommon, but pretty obvious as most usually flat, rather than
round, cable.

Why wouldn't it be legal? Up to the user to select the correct one
for a job. In other words, use the supplied lead.

Because it's a 13A plug to three pin IEC C13 socket.
What would be wrong with that lead ?

It has no earth and may be used on equipment where an earth is required.

I thought all C13 plugs on equipment required an earth as default.
Anything that doesn't need an earth uses one of those figure of 8 cable
sockets/plugs. Most of our monitors have a C13 and most equipment does
too.

I'm not sure a C13 IEC lead/cable would pass a PAT test if given one.

I've just pulled one out of my box of leads in the lab. three pin
IEC C13 socket rated at 10 ams 250V cable I'm unsure of cable but it
says 0.75mm^2 The 3 pins mains plug is the standard 13amp type with a
5amp fuse fitted.

A label around the cable says BS 1362 complient

AIUI, BS1362 is for fuses.

approved by ASTA to BS 1362 exact wording

Yes difficult to get a sticky label around a fuse and the bottom of the
label says' " warning-this appliance must be earthed" in shouty capitals
:-)

AS I said I would not use an IEC lead that wasn't earthed UNLESS that
lead came with the equipment and was meant to be used with that equipment
not earthed.

Passed safety test in feb 2017 re-test date feb 2018.

Do you mean it passed a PAT test? I'm no mains lead expert, but surely
that can't be right?

We have a company come in and test things and they put stickers on. We
are told we must not use anything that hasn't been PAT tested unless it
is new and less than a year old.

I've tested brand new stuff and failed it.

That isn't our problem it's why we only buy such things from reputable suppliers and why ebay is avioded.
And we don't normlly buy second hand either or sell our equipment on, we don't even like giving it away to schools, when we have in the past we've always had it PAT tested before giving it away.