Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Yawn, another meter question

On 20/08/2018 08:40, Chris J Dixon wrote:

However, it has now stopped working completely, and shows no
signal even if I hold it right next to the transmitter. I might
try changing channels again, but I think it is probably dead. :-(

Possibly after changing batteries there is a reset or pairing sequence
that is not detailed in the manual.

I have a British Gas branded electricity monitor that after a battery
change will not pair with the clip on sensor unless a sequence of
buttons is pressed. This sequence is not detailed in the instruction
book but is urban knowledge on the Internet. This sequence is not the
same as the first pairing instructions.

I recently changed the battery in a friends oil tank sensor. The
instructions helpfully told me to just change the battery and as the
senor and display had been previously paired the link again would be
automatically established within an hour. Fat chance . In the end I had
to start the pairing from scratch which involved again removing the
sensor from the tank and placing it in contact with the display. The
sensor has a reed switch and the display an inbuilt magnet and when
brought together the reed switch is made which puts the sensor into a
pairing mode.

The sensor battery is in a holder on a PCB which has to be removed from
the sensor casing. The PCB can be reinstalled in the casing in one of
two ways. Nowhere in the instructions does it say identify the reed
switch on the PCB and make sure that the PCB is inserted so that it is
adjacent to a (painted) spot on the outside of the sensor casing. The
pairing instructions say place the sensor with the spot adjacent to the
display (which puts the reed switch in close proximity to the magnet).
Guess what doesn't work if the PCB is inserted the wrong way around and
guess how long it took to work out what was going wrong.