Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default Vintage equipment voltage measurement

On 20/08/18 01:14, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 16:22:39 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I know the feeling. Three times in my life I've turned my hobby into a
business. Now, I'm getting ready to begin to start planning to retire
and I'm turning my business into a hobby with at least one of my hobbies
into a potential business. Perhaps it would be better for the skools to
teach hobbies instead of professions?

Not sure about the US, but schools in the UK are teaching kids *what* to
think rather than how to. Very little of a typical school day is now
spent learning anything genuinely useful.

And if the ex Secretary of State for Education (and poisonous
brexiteer) Michael Gove got his way, they won't be taught to
think at all, only to regurgitate "useful" facts such as when
King Henry II reigned. But then he also wanted more madrassahs,
under the guise of wanting more religion in education. He
even approved the creation of three Creationist schools.

But of course the success and failure is far more nuanced
than CD states.

The kids the schools turn out
into the world of work nowadays are mostly only suited to flipping
burgers or delivering pizzas.

Old farts have always said that, and always will.

When doing A-level pure maths, homework often consisted of
doing questions from past exams. The older ones were more
difficult than the recent ones, with those from the
early 50s being bloody hard.