Dean

Default How to correctly size combi boilers

Over the years there have been many discussions raised in this NG
about the merits and demerits of combi boilers. I don't want to go
through them again except to note that the message about combi's that
seems to come through loud and clear is that a poorly performing combi
system is usually the result of not being spec'd correctly for the
job.

The problem is that every plumber I have spoken to about replacing my
existing standard, vented system always starts out with "Have you
though about a combi". Never with "Well what do you want from your hot
water supply".

This leads me to believe that they want to foist something onto me
that generates the most profit. Therefore I mistrust combi systems
because I can't be sure that it will meet my needs rather than the
plumbers needs.

But that is not right at all. Anyone who has read the threads on this
NG will see that there are combi installations that are bad (usually
undersized for the job) and those that are good (those sized
correctly).

The point I'm trying to make is where can I go to get a good,
impartial recommendation about the right kind of system, and what
specification that system should be? It's no good talking to a plumber
because all you will get (in my experience) will be "You want a combi,
gov! Sort you out a treat it will!" before they even know how many
bathrooms I have, or whether I have a washing machine and a
dishwasher, or how many people live there.

I don't mind installing a combi, or an unvented system, or a
conventional system as long as it is sized to do the job. Can anyone
tell me where to get fair, balanced advice about what will meet my
requirements?

Thanks,

Dean.