Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Yawn, another meter question

"ss" wrote in message
On 19/08/2018 10:58, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Independant trials have shown this lasts for about a month before
the thrill wears off and the meter is ignored, and after that, the
savings drop back to nearly nothing.

I think the biggest saving will be for the utility companies by not having
to pay for all the meter readers hence they become more profitable.

Or charge the consumer less when the wages of meter readers dont have to be
paid for.

I have monitored my gas/elec for a few years now and my bills are less now
than 5 years ago, I didnt need a smart meter to do it.

Sure, but its more convenient with a smart meter and will be possible
to have time of day rates that allow consumers to use the higher power
devices like clothes driers etc when the cost of the energy is lower and
so allow the supplier to supply that energy when its cheaper for them.
A much more sophisticated system than the current off peak system.

https://imgur.com/a/4j9dLiR

With a smartmeter, that is much easier for the consumer to do.