Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Yawn, another meter question

On Sunday, 19 August 2018 13:11:35 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 07:43:29 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 07:36:31 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

They are being advertised on TV as saving electricity. Now we all know
that adverts are all accurate and never lie. But how exactly do they
save electric? Or do they mean that customers can use the information
given to save it?

That's what I understand. TPTB expect you to look at the meter every
few minutes and run around switching off lights, phone chargers etc to
save a few watts. My impression is that most people pretty soon get
bored by them and stop looking, presumably reverting to their former
wasteful or otherwise behaviour.

In the good old days of electro-mechanical meters there was a nice big
wheel which you could monitor go around. You could see or measure
what happened when you put the kettle on, or as one did in those days,
switched on the electric heater. Which was all fine and dandy but it
didn't give alternatives to boiling the water or from being cold so
even in those days no money was actually saved.

--
AnthonyL

Modern meters have a flashing LED. Flashes once per watthour.