jim

Default Seeking garage door advice

Dave wrote:

I have a 2-car garage with a wood door on the front. The opener was
replaced within the past year, but the door is old.

Within the past week or so, since the weather turned colder (20F as a
high), the door begins to close and then reverses itself. This
happens at various points, so I do not believe it to be something
directly in the track itself. There does not appear to be anything
inside the garage that is tripping the sensor (i.e., at first we
thought the car bumper was in the way or something like that), however
when viewing the door close from the outside, it looks like maybe the
wood is bulging at a seam and is squeezed just enough to trip the
opener.

If you gently push on the door as it is going down, it closes. By
"gently," I mean you can basically just put your hand on it without
much effort to push it down.

Does the cold air expand the wood and/or is this typical for a wood
door?

On a side note, we have been thinking of replacing the door anyway.
The garage is not heated, but the current door has a bulge where the
opener attaches and does not seem to help much other than keeping the
direct wind and elements from the cars. I have not looked into
pricing yet, but what would you recommend...when we decide to replace
the door, would you stick with wood?

Thank you,
Dave

we had a similar problem with a single garage door, when it got cold the
sears garage door would not open it.. it needed some help to bring it up
by hand.. as the sun came up and beat on the door at 11-12 noon the door
opened and closed fine.. found out it was the dirt/grease on the screw
drive.. took the screw drive down and cleaned it up with spray on auto
brake cleaner and a wire brush.. the dirt/old grease was on there like a
putty.. it really held the door back.. after the cleaning it worked
fine... never had any problems with it since.. look to see if you have
that problem or it might be the expansion or contraction of something
else with the cold weather(with me it only got down to about 40 degrees,
but that was cold in the south...hope this helps.)