Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default Yawn, another meter question

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Broadback writes:
They are being advertised on TV as saving electricity. Now we all know
that adverts are all accurate and never lie. But how exactly do they
save electric? Or do they mean that customers can use the information
given to save it?

It means customers look at it and get a feel for what consumes the
most electricity in the house, and cut back.

Each item of my electrical equipment has a little label on it which
gives me that feel. There's also a big EU label which tells me how
energy efficient it is - whatever that means.
Independant trials have shown this lasts for about a month before
the thrill wears off and the meter is ignored, and after that, the
savings drop back to nearly nothing.

Yup
Clip-on power meters have been available for many years which do
this (albeit less accurately), and their impact was identical, so
it comes as no surprise.

Yup
--
bert